Wood apple (bael fruit) is a sweet, aromatic fruit that grows on the wood apple tree (Aegle Marmelos) native to India and Southeast Asia. The fruit is usually eaten fresh, dried, or in the form of juice. It is suggested that consuming wood apples can help to treat certain health conditions, including digestive disorders.
Wood apples contain plenty of substances that may affect health. These substances include tannins, a class of compounds with anti-inflammatory benefits.
Here are some of the benefits of wood apples:
- Wood Apple is effective against sunstroke and other summer health difficulties.
- Wood apple's anti-oxidant tannins and phenolic components help fight piles and ulcers. It fights diarrhoea, dysentery, and more.
- Wood apples purify the body with riboflavin and thiamine. Its juice prevents renal and gastrointestinal disorders.
- Wood apples have expectorant characteristics, making them beneficial against asthma, bronchitis, and sore throat.
- It fights viral, fungal, and bacterial infections.
- Rich in fibre, it naturally relieves constipation and indigestion.
- It prevents tiredness when coupled with jaggery.
- Boiling wood apple leaves lowers blood pressure.
- Wood apple's vitamin C prevents scurvy (bleeding gums).
- Wood Apple is a blood cleanser because it cleanses the kidneys and liver.
- Wood apple manages blood sugar to avoid diabetes. It also controls dangerous sugar surges.
Uses for Wood Apple
Food Uses of Wood Apple
Wood apple is a beverage or ice cream flavour. It is mostly used in the preparation of jams and chutneys.
Medical uses of the wood apple
- Wood Apple is a tonic for the heart and liver.
- It is used to treat diarrhoea.
- It is used to treat sore throats, hiccoughs, and gum disorders.
- When combined with honey, the powdered rind aids in the treatment of diarrhoea and dysentery in youngsters.
- Wood Apple pulp, obtained from the roots, leaves, fruit, and bark, is used to treat snakebites.
The gum extracted from Wood Apple branches and trunk is used to make ink, varnish, dyes, and watercolours.
Wood Apple wood is used for a variety of building uses, agricultural equipment, carvings, mill rollers, pattern-making, and many more things.
How to eat Wood Apples?
It's simple to get to the fragrant pulp of a bael fruit by cutting into the rind with a knife. You may either peel it like an apple or split it in half and remove the flesh with a spoon. If you want a bael fruit with a harder peel, you may try hitting it with the back of a hefty knife. It's time to peel when the rind begins to separate.
The bael fruit's flesh may be anything from a light orange to a caramel brown, and it has a sweet, almost banana-like scent. Seeds with fuzzy hairs and brittle mucilage make up the flesh. The bael fruit may be eaten and used in several ways, like as:
Consuming the fruit uncooked:
The pulp may be consumed raw. Bael fruit is combined with palm sugar and eaten for breakfast in Indonesia.
Bael fruit juice:
Often known as sherbet in India, is produced by sweetening the diluted pulp. Milk is sometimes added.
Bael fruit tea:
It is made by slicing and drying the bael fruit. To prepare herbal tea, the dried slices are steeped in boiling water.
Jam & Jellies:
Bael fruit is used to manufacture a variety of preserves, including jams, jellies, toffee, sweets, and chutneys.
Benefits of fresh Wood Apple juice
1. Cardiovascular disease:
Combine ripe bael fruit juice with ghee. Include this combination in your regular diet to help avoid cardiac illnesses such as strokes and heart attacks. This has been shown to lower blood glucose levels by about 54%.
2. Gastroprotection characteristics:
This miracle juice may heal stomach ulcers produced by an imbalance in mucosa levels or oxidative damage in the gastric tract. The phenolic chemicals in this juice are high in anti-oxidants, which help to prevent stomach ulcers.
3. Cholesterol management:
Bael juice aids in cholesterol management and lowers blood cholesterol levels. Triglyceride, serum, and tissue lipid levels are all influenced by Bael juice.
4. Antimicrobial activity:
Antimicrobial effects of bael juice The juice is used to treat fungal and viral illnesses. Because the juice includes cumin aldehyde and eugenol, they have antibacterial effects.
5. Anti-inflammatory effects:
Anti-inflammatory qualities of bael juice are utilised to alleviate histamine-induced contractions. This also has a significant effect on relaxing and soothing irritated organs.
Bael fruit juice is an excellent cure for constipation and stomach discomfort. This has laxative effects that help clean and tone the intestines. Sub-chronic constipation may be reduced by drinking this frequently for 2-3 months. To relieve stomach aches in children, combine this with sugar and drink twice a day. To eliminate toxins from the intestines, season the juice with black pepper and salt.
7. Diarrhoea and dysentery:
This is claimed to heal diarrhoea and dysentery without causing fever in Ayurveda. It may also be used with jaggery or sugar. Animal studies have shown that the unripe fruit possesses antidiarrheal and gastroprotective properties.
8. Respiratory issues:
The juice of the bael fruit helps treat respiratory diseases such as asthma and the common cold. This also provides cold resistance.
9. Diabetes management:
Laxatives included in bael juice aid to regulate blood sugar levels. It stimulates the pancreas and aids in the manufacture of insulin, which regulates blood sugar levels.
10. Prevent Scurvy
Scurvy is caused due to vitamin C deficiency. The deficiency causes many other harmful effects on the blood vessels of the body and as a result, creates long-term issues for people. One of the important uses of wood apples is to prevent and cure this.
As the fruit is rich in several vitamins including vitamin C, it can be proven to be very beneficial for scurvy. It can enrich the body with the desired need for vitamin C and thus can prevent the disease very early.
11. Wood apple Benefits For Hair
Wood apples are a rich source of plenty of nutrients and vitamins which are required for healthy hair growth. Out of the several benefits of wood apples, improving the texture and quality of the hair is one of the most popular benefits. Wood apples not only benefit the hair but are also beneficial in treating scalp problems.
How To Apply:
- Mix some of the wood apple extracts with coconut oil and almond oil and then apply this mix to your hair and scalp and massage for some time.
- Wash off your hair after some time.
- The wood apple advantages for hair may be shown after using this technique twice a week for two months.
12. Protect Liver Health
Wood apples have significant results in improving the health of the liver. This is one of the uses of wood apples that have come into the spotlight in recent times. It has been seen that the wood apple calories are good for the working of the liver.
Skin Benefits of Wood Apple
Wood Apple has phenolic chemicals that act as anti-oxidants. This is capable of repairing damaged cells caused by free radicals.
Wood Apple contains anti-oxidants that help postpone the ageing process of the skin, allowing it to retain its youthfulness for a longer period.
The antibacterial qualities of wood apple aid in the treatment of a variety of skin disorders and infections, as well as the promotion of skin health.
Wood apple aid in the treatment of viral, fungal, and bacterial illnesses. It includes fibre, thus it has laxative qualities and may aid with digestive difficulties including constipation and indigestion.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Is wood apple good for health?
Yes! Wood Apple is very nutritious and contains a variety of vitamins, minerals, fibre, and other nutrients; every component of the wood apple is useful to the body.
2. Is wood apple good for a cold?
Wood apple is high in vitamin C, a powerful anti-oxidant that enhances immunity and relieves common colds, sinus, headaches, eye, and ear problems.
3. Can we eat a wood apple every day?
Yes, wood apples may be consumed daily. Wood apple is high in thiamine and riboflavin, both of which help to cleanse the body. Wood apple juice promotes excellent intestinal health and removes renal issues.