With water and fragrance, glycerin is the third most frequently reported ingredient in cosmetics.
Acknowledged as the major ingredient in moisturisers and lotions, buying and using glycerin in its pure form is growing in popularity.
What is glycerin?
Glycerin, also known as glycerol, is a natural compound obtained from vegetable oils or animal fats. It’s a colourless, odourless and syrupy liquid with a sweet taste.
Glycerin is an emollient, a type of moisturising agent that pulls water into the outer layer of your skin from deeper levels of your skin and the air.
In skincare products, glycerin for skin is commonly used with occlusives, another type of moisturising agent, to seal the moisture that it draws into the skin.
Glycerin is considered the most effective emollient in comparison to various others, including
- alpha-hydroxy acids
- hyaluronic acid
- propylene glycol and butylene glycol
Uses of Glycerine
What is glycerin used for? It is best known for its usage in skincare products.
It’s not at all difficult to find a glycerin soap or a glycerin cream in a local drugstore.
As an emollient, this is often found as an ingredient in cosmetic products.
Products that commonly contain this ingredient include:
- face washes
- skin creams and lotions
- skin serums
- skin toners
- cough medicine
- condensed milk
- processed meats
- soybean products
- commercial baked goods
- e-cigarette liquid
Glycerin for face whitening
There is evidence to support the use of glycerin for skin whitening and black spot eradication. Exfoliation is reported to be aided by glycerin. Getting rid of dead skin cells and debris will aid in brightening the complexion. Glycerin also helps to remove age spots, scars, and dark spots. Because of all of these features, glycerin is often used in soaps and body lotions to whiten the skin.
How to use glycerin for skin lightening?
Glycerin and other natural substances may help to enhance skin tone. For face whitening, several skin-brightening lotions include glycerin. Want to know how to use glycerin to lighten your skin? Try these magical face kits:
Cucumber and glycerin
- Cucumber and glycerin both help to moisturise the skin
- Make a paste with 2 spoons of cucumber gel and a few drops of glycerin.
- This pack helps clean up acne, pimples, scars, violets, pigmentation, dark circles, and uneven skin tone.
- Besan is recognised for its ability to brighten and tone the skin.
- Make a besan pack using two spoons of besan flour, glycerin, and essential oil.
- Applying this face pack for 45 minutes softens and lustres dry skin.
- Honey imparts brightness to the skin.
- In addition to its ability to hydrate the skin, honey also has antibacterial qualities.
- Mix two spoons of honey, one spoon of lemon juice, and a few drops of glycerin together.
- Wait 15-20 minutes before bathing after using this face pack.
- This pack moisturises the skin while also preventing acne.
How to dilute glycerin for skin?
Glycerine can be used as a moisturiser, toner and cleanser. It can not be applied to the skin directly because glycerin is thick, it is not recommended for use on the face. It attracts dirt, which may cause acne and pimples.
- Mix with one part glycerin and two parts rosewater.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle until it is half full.
- Apply it to your face anytime it feels dry or rough.
- This may naturally moisturise your skin.
As a result, glycerin is a good component since it is moderate and soft on the skin, therefore include it in your skincare routine.
Glycerin and Rosewater for the face
Rosewater is one of the most effective skincare home treatments. A common home cure for skin lightening is glycerin and rosewater. Make a glycerin-rose-water combination for dry, dark skin. Before going to bed, apply this combination. It softens, lightens, and moisturises the skin.
Glycerin and rosewater for skin whitening also work to cure sun tanning. Glycerine and rose water combine to make an excellent toner. It cleanses, moisturises, and prevents acne. It's also mild and comforting to the skin.
- Combine 5 drops of pure glycerin, 1 lemon juice, and 20 millilitres (mL) of rose water.
- Fill a small bottle or spray bottle halfway with the liquid.
- Apply the liquid to your face every day with your finger or a cotton swab, or use it as a mist after wearing makeup for a healthy glow.
- Keep the serum in the fridge.
Glycerine and vitamin E for the face
As glycerin attracts moisture, putting it on your skin will leave it softer and suppler. And vitamin E is great for preserving a youthful appearance.
To make this treatment successful:
- Combine one vitamin E pill, one teaspoon of rosewater, and one teaspoon of glycerin.
- Apply the mixture to your skin with your hands.
- You must then keep it on for four to five hours before washing it off with cold water to get bright skin.
Glycerin is appropriate for all skin types. However, before using glycerin for face whitening, do a patch test to determine sensitivity.
Glycerin is a dust-attracting humectant. It is usually preferable to dilute it before applying it to the face. Skin allergies may cause burning, redness, or irritation of the skin.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Is glycerin good for your face?
Because of its humectant properties, glycerin helps the skin retain moisture, which improves its overall condition.
2. Does glycerin make skin glow?
Glycerin has excellent exfoliant qualities. It aids in the removal of dead skin cells, which may dull the skin and weigh it down. This rapidly brightens the skin and improves the look of dark spots, blemishes, acne scars, and age spots.
3. How long should I leave glycerin on my face?
The best method is to apply glycerine at night, let it sit for 15-20 minutes, and then wash it off before getting into bed.
4. Can glycerin remove dark circles?
Yes! Using glycerine as an under-eye lotion at night helps to eliminate dark circles and leaves your under-eye skin soft and smooth. It is superior to the majority of regeneration creams on the market.
1. Anisha Sethi, Tejinder Kaur,1 SK Malhotra,1 and ML Gambhir, May - June 2016, Moisturizers: The Slippery Road