Best skincare during period
Everyone knows Periods are a part of every woman’s health and life. The average menstrual cycle of most women lasts 28 – 35 days. And the body changes a lot throughout the menstrual cycle from mood swings, cramps, and cravings for food to many more things. As your mood and hormones fluctuate throughout the menstrual cycle, you might experience breakouts and various effects on your skin. So it is necessary to take optimum care of your skin.
How do you take care of your skin during your period?
When you are on your menstrual cycle skin becomes dry, and levels of both the hormones that are progesterone and oestrogen are low. This is the time when your skin requires extra routine care to rehydrate it and bring back the moisture to your skin.
Dealing with menstrual acne is the most important thing during periods. The occurrence of acne begins due to increased sebum production, which ends up leaving pimples caused by bacteria. Hence, extra attention is required.
During this period, Wash your face twice daily with lukewarm water and follow a skincare routine that moisturizes your skin and a face wash to keep bacteria at bay.
- If you get tired of using foaming cleansers or facewash multiple times a week, at least start following twice a day during your period days. The hormones during your cycle produce sebum which is a natural oil that makes your skin appear more oily. So following foaming cleansers twice a day can keep pimples and menstrual acne from forming.
- When you menstruate, you are affected by a wide range of conditions and illnesses causing skin issues like cystic acne that is period acne, blemishes, and scarring to your skin. At this, You should receive hormonal therapy from your healthcare provider. They may prescribe you some medications and supplements to deal with your period cramp and period acne.
- You can get facial treatments 10 days prior to your period beginning which can prevent you from period-related skin issues as your skin is less vulnerable to damage.
- You should avoid carbs and sugars from your diet during your periods as it will prevent acne breakouts.
- Minimise the use of makeup when you are on your periods as it will help keep your skin hydrated and moisturized without overloading it with heavy products.
- Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin E, and antioxidants are simply superb for your skin and prevent acne formation during your menstrual cycle. Have diet and supplements such as flax seeds, vegetable oils, etc which help in reducing inflammation, keep your skin smooth supple, moisturized, and slow down ageing.
- Drink plenty of water and keep your body moisturized avoiding it producing oil that leads to the formation of acne. When your skin is moisturized, you will keep pimples at bay.
- Always use tissue paper or blotting paper to clean extra oil from your face when on periods.
- Use foaming face wash especially when you have oily skin as hormonal fluctuations already cause oil secretion which tends to make your skin oilier. So be kind to yourself and drink plenty of water while menstruating to help keep your skin clear.
How to get glowing skin during periods?
Taking optimum skin care, being hydrated, having enough sleep and keeping stress away can get your skin glowing during periods. You can also follow your skincare routine, applying moisturizer and sunscreen while going out. You also need to wash your face multiple times to keep it away from dirt and the risk of acne breakout. Apart from that, the food you eat plays a key role too, avoid spicy and fast foods and drink more beverages like lemon juice, fruit juices, and buttermilk to get glowing skin.
Does skin tone change during period?
Estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone are the main hormones that regulate the menstrual cycle, and they also affect the skin. During the menstrual cycle, estrogen levels rise and fall, which can cause changes in the production of melanin, the pigment that gives skin its colour. This can lead to changes in skin tone, such as darkening or lightening of the skin.
Additionally, hormonal changes during periods can also cause acne breakouts, skin dryness, and increased sensitivity to the sun. These factors can also affect the appearance and texture of the skin.
Best skincare during period
- Cleanse more than twice
- Drink more water and keep hydrated
- Use moisturizer
- Exfoliate regular
- Do meditation to be stress-free
- Follow a proper skincare routine
Your menstrual cycle influences your mood, energy levels, and the condition of your hair, body, and skin. Feeling sick during this time is a very common thing. During your Menstrual cycle experience many changes from hormonal to skin-related changes. Your skin either becomes drier or oilier with every phase of the cycle. Following your diet and skincare routine is the best during this time.
Can I use moisturizer during period?
Yes, you can moisturize your skin during periods, and it is recommended too. During periods most women observe dryness in their skin.
What should apply on face during periods?
You can apply your regular skin care products on your skin during periods, but in case you have an acne breakout, avoid these products so as to stop the adverse effects.
Can I use vitamin C serum during periods?
Yes, during periods, uneven skin tone is very common, and to get rid of it, you can use Serums that contain Vitamin C for getting glowing skin.
- How do hormones affect your skin during periods? By FLO.
- Skin and the cycle, how hormones affect your skin? By CLUE, Feb 5, 2018.
Stay Informed, Stay Healthy!
Get the best of health & wellness with our brands - Mars & Saturn. We believe in providing evidence-based, quality products & services that positively impact your personal well-being. That's why we've put together a team of experts to create informative & educational content related to various health topics. From skincare tips & advice on sleep habits to the latest news on sexual performance & personal hygiene, we strive to keep you informed & equipped with the knowledge you need to live your best life.