The serum is a thin-viscosity skincare product that is applied to the skin after cleansing. However, it is applied before moisturising with the intention of delivering powerful ingredients to the skin. The serum is particularly suited to this task because it is made up of smaller molecules that can penetrate deeply into the skin and deliver a very high concentration of active ingredients. This makes them a great tool for targeting specific skincare concerns, like wrinkles.
There is a very common confusion between serums and moisturizers. Serums can be enriched with moisturizing ingredients like hyaluronic acid and ceramides to help skin retain moisture. But, that doesn't make them moisturizers in the traditional sense. Face lotions and creams are richer and create a barrier on top of the skin to keep all that good stuff in.
Types of Face Serums
Now, face serums are used to target various skin issues such as dark spots, anti-ageing, oily skin etc. hence, there are different types of serums that come into action.
Some of the common and widely used types of serums are:
- Acne fighting serums:
As the name suggests, acne-fighting serums are used to get rid of acne. It tries to remove the possibility of such breakouts from occurring on the skin. Its main use is to deliver those active ingredients which can eliminate such active threats for the breakout to occur.
- This can be treated as an alternative to creams and other cleansers which work more on the surface of the skin. But this serum attacks deeply on the target area.
- Before they even start popping out, breakouts can be easily resolved by using the acne-fighting serum.
- Absorption of excessive oil on your skin, irritation & redness from this acne or breakouts on your skin can be fixed and healed by the acne-fighting serum.
It has Vitamin-C extract with citric acid, zinc, cucumber and green tea which benefits your skin in fighting those breakouts.
- High Concentration of active ingredients in this Serum
- Natural Products don’t harm the skin as they aren’t using any sort of harsh chemicals.
- Makes the skin feel light and fresh
Reduces such Breakouts before they form acne.
- Highly oxidized, packaging needs to be perfectly sealed otherwise it might show cloudy features which can be not useful for the skin.
- It can be expensive so make sure which brand suits the skin better.
- Side effects such as stinging can be a thing occur on the skin.
- Skin brightening serum:
The skin brightening serum is used to make the skin glowy and healthy. Due to certain elements in the serum which we will be discussing further in its benefits, it helps the skin to balance its tone & smoothen its complexion of it.
Let’s ponder on some of their benefits which helps the skin to brighten:
- It reduces discolouration and targets the skin pigments so that they may have a balanced amount of vitamins in the skin.
- Uses stabilised vitamin C which is easier for the skin to absorb rather than pure vitamin C.
- Niacinamide is one of the ingredients in the skin brightening serum which helps in removing dark spots and balancing skin tone.
All of this leads your skin to a vibrant complexion which helps your skin to brighten.
- It contains ingredients like liquorice root, green tea, Vitamin C, Vitamin E. These help in regenerating the skin and make them healthier than before.
- Vitamin C is the sole reason why it supports melanin production on the skin in order to develop enough new skin pigments.
Stabilized Vitamin C is more useful than pure Vitamin C content in this serum.
- These Vitamins in this serum have a short shelf life because of their oxidation factor.
- They are considered to be pretty expensive.
When the skin starts to sag or due to an age factor the skin pigments start forming wrinkles then Anti-Aging Serums are considered to be the best ones. A Human’s skin will age no matter what, but this anti-ageing serum slows down the process of skin ageing.
This helps the skin to sparkle & benefit it with younger skin even in the 30’s. Let’s ponder onto their benefits:-
- To prevent fewer appearances of wrinkles and lines on your skin, Vitamin A plays a vital role in eliminating or slowing down the process of these wrinkles timely.
- It is said that a regular application of Vitamin A on the skin could be very beneficial.
- It also helps in protecting yourself from external pollutants in the surroundings.
In order to supercharge your facial qualities, Retinol works as a great ingredient in this Serum as it enhances the skin pigments without interfering with Ultra-Violet Rays.
- Vitamin B3 & Vitamin A are active ingredients that play a crucial role in this Serum.
- There could sometimes be protein production which can enrich the skin and make them fresh and young.
- Vitamin B3 is the key reason for Anti-aging, retinol plays an important role while you sleep as it repairs and improves your skin.
It uses ingredients like grape seed extract, Vitamins, and fruit stem cells.
- It is very expensive because of its good delivery of features, which is common in most serums.
- Excess use of the Serum might not be effective and can cause various effects.
Whenever a person is working outdoors or is exposed to the sun for a prolonged period of time, their skin gets dehydrated and parched. This makes them use moisturizers and other such creams but it’s never an effective use to deliver proper hydration to the skin pigments. This is why using hydrating serum is recommended. It amplifies the effects of a moisturizer.
There are several benefits a Hydrating Serum provides, let’s take a brief look at them:
- Whenever a person is seeking an extra boost to moisturize their skin, a Hydrating Serum is the best for them to use rather than cream itself.
- It doesn’t necessarily mean they need to neglect the moisturising cream, but a balanced usage of both is necessary. The cream starts the process, while the serum enhances it.
- Hyaluronic acid is the main reason why this hydrating serum is a big haul, it has a tendency to keep 2000 times water in it.
Proper usage is always necessary, this will keep the skin hydrated and stop getting it from being dry.
- While using the hydrating serum, the Hyaluronic acid acts as a Humectant which helps in absorbing the water from your surroundings to make your skin feel fresh.
- You need to figure out its proper placement, & keep them under humid conditions. This will allow you to give the best results in a longer period of time.
If you need more hydrating features, then you need to look for Argan oil, hyaluronic acid & Glycerine in the hydrating serum.
- Unlike all serums, the Hydrating serum is also expensive, & could be depending on the brand you select.
- Excessive usage of Hydrating serum can cause improper effects that’s why a balanced usage is necessary.
Just like Anti-Aging serum, the Exfoliating Serum has exactly the same features for the betterment of the skin. There might be two methods by which you can deliver the exact feature. One comes with a manual and the other with a chemical method.
The manual method of exfoliating the skin is considered harsh & comes with a grainy scrub. This cannot be comfortable for sensitive skin users. Thus, the chemical form which is technically the Exfoliating Serum is the easiest way to reduce such dark spots and repair your skin.
Let’s mark out the crucial benefits which this serum delivers to us:
- The exfoliating serum delivers a reduction of dark circles, balancing your skin colouration, natural ageing & protection from sun damage.
- The Hydroxy acids in this serum repair the dead cells of your skin and replace them with new cells.
- There is an equal amount of AHA’s and BHA’s, these serve to repair the skin with different types of skin.
- Experts from the Institute of Southern California have considered people to use the Exfoliating serum with PHA’s for those people who have sensitive skin.
- Ingredients like Hydroxy, lactic & glycolic acids serve in the Exfoliating serums to prevent your skin from getting damaged.
- It clears the pores, blackheads, and other several damages which a skin bears deep down.
Overall radiance is seen on your face making it glow with all the dead skin cells repaired with a freshly prepared set of new cells.
- It is more expensive than usual discounted prices, so you should be choosing the brand wisely.
- You also should be very careful in using them in excessive amounts.
To produce maximum benefits of the skincare routine, a serum shall have a concentrated mixture with several ingredients to combine with as they deeply penetrate into the skin. It should not be compared with any moisturiser or a cleanser, because a face serum is a pretty concentrated mixture and is graded with numerous advantages and some disadvantages. These serums are targeted for issues related to the skin pertaining to the face. These have to be applied topically and per the instructions marked on the serum container.