Sticky Hair in Summer
An oily scalp with sticky hair is a difficult situation for the hair to handle and when summers arrive, the scalp tends to get more sticky and oily. It is very difficult to deal with such a condition because you don’t know which shampoo to choose, and how to get rid of those sticky hairs in summer due to sweating.
If you choose a shampoo that is made for oily hair, your scalp feels clean but your hair gets very dry, ripping off shine, smoothness, and all the softness of the hair. On the other hand, if you choose a shampoo that is made for normal to dry hair, you do fair to your hair while the scalp remains oily, sticky and greasy. Oily scalp is also prone to a very stubborn kind of yellowish and sticky dandruff which shows up because of your overactive sebaceous glands which produce sebum!
An oily and greasy scalp makes you feel dirty, smelly, itchy, and unclean, to the extent that you want to get rid of the oil and dirt by any means! In this post, we will know some of the tips on how to get rid of sticky hair in summer.
How do I stop my hair from being sticky?
Choose a Gentle Shampoo without SLS/SLES: Choose a shampoo that is specifically made for oily hair which will help to clean the oil and dirt properly. If you have normal to dry hair, use olive oil thoroughly into the hair two hours before using the shampoo. It is best to avoid the roots of the hair.
After shampooing, you get a cleaner scalp and soft hair! When choosing a shampoo, it would be wise to pick one without SLS/SLES content as they strip away moisture and hydration from the hair, making them very rough and frizzy. You can even shampoo your hair frequently when using an SLS/SLES-free shampoo.
Condition: Conditioning is very essential for your hair, but how to get the conditioning effect without the greasy feel? The best method is to make use of natural conditioners. Use lemon water, apple cider vinegar or tea liquor as the last rinse if you don’t have time. This will condition your hair and let your scalp be free from oil.
Nourish Hair without Using Oil: Oil plays a key role in nourishing hair and enhancing hair growth. If you have greasy scalp and sticky hair then non-oily hair tonics are specially meant for this purpose.
Use a Wooden Comb: Use a wooden comb to comb your hair after drying them. You are prone to lose hair when you try to comb wet hair. Also, avoid combing too often as it restores oil secretion on your scalp.
Product Tips for Sticky Hair
- Go for cleansers that are mild, oil-free and gentle enough for frequent use.
- You may look for zinc pyrithione, coal tar, salicylic acid or selenium sulfide as ingredients and components in shampoos to get rid of oily scalp and sticky hair.
- Avoid two-in-one products plus the products which leave a residue behind.
- Do not use styling products too often. Let your scalp breathe freely.
- Reduce the use of hair styling products on your scalp which might cause product buildup.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Sticky Hair in Summer
- Henna: Applying henna to your hair once every week or once every two weeks conditions your hair and since it has a drying effect, it is good for oily scalp.
- Coconut milk: Massage your scalp with fresh coconut milk which is very good for the scalp; it helps treat sticky hair while nourishing your scalp and hair.
- Tea-tree oil: Using tea tree oil in your regular scalp-care regimen is beneficial for the hairs. Try adding a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo while you washing your hair.
- Aloe Vera gel: Use fresh aloe vera gel on your scalp which will help to nourish your hair roots and control oil from the scalp.
- Take 1/2 cup of oatmeal powder, add 2 tsp of baking soda, 2 tbsp olive oil, and water to make a paste consistency. Apply to scalp and rinse it off after 20 minutes.
- Mix 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in one cup of water. After washing hair with a mild shampoo, use this mixture as a final rinse on the scalp. Rinse one more time with normal water, do this at least twice a week.
- Mix 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel with 1 tbsp of lemon juice in one cup of diluted shampoo. Wash your hair with this solution 2 times a week.
Oily scalp and sticky hair are indeed a problem scalp. So, you need to be cautious while treating it. It just needs a bit more care and concern from your side. Hence, it is essential that you take regular care of it and at the same time, drink lots of water, avoid oily and junk food and have a healthy lifestyle. It is possible to handle the problem to a good extent!