- Independence Day Special Tricolor Salad
- Tiranga Idlis: an Ode to Our National flag
- Tricolor Sandwiches to Kick off Your Independence Day
- Tricolor Healthy Smoothie
Independence day is here and it’s the perfect excuse to put our creative muscles to work. A little creative activity with a drizzle of patriotism and health hurt no one. When it comes to combining health and patriotism, what better way to do it than with delicious tricolor recipes? As we commemorate the spirit of unity and diversity this independence day, let's whip up some culinary magic with these 4 easy-to-make recipes - tricolor salad, tricolor idlis, tricolor sandwiches and tricolor smoothie. Read on for the detailed recipes!
1. Independence Day Special Tricolor Salad
Let’s start with a delightful and healthy tricolor salad that's as visually appealing as it is nutritious. What makes it so special, you ask? The combination of crisp and fresh vegetables in saffron, white, and green hues that creates a lovely blend of flavors and textures to tantalize your taste buds and help you in your weight loss journey.
Saffron Layer: Carrots, orange bell peppers, sweet potatoes
White Layer: Cauliflower, radishes
Green Layer: Cucumbers, avocado, spinach, peas
- Finely chop the vegetables for each layer and keep them separate. Stir fry veggies in butter/olive oil as you please.
- Arrange the saffron, white, and green layers on a serving platter, creating a tricolor effect.
- Drizzle with a zesty citrus dressing made from lemon juice, olive oil, honey, and a pinch of salt.
- Top with a sprinkle of fresh herbs like mint or cilantro for an extra burst of flavor.
2. Tiranga Idlis: an Ode to Our National flag
Next up, let's give the humble idli, our beloved South Indian dish, a tricolor twist. These mini steamed wonders are not only easy on the waistline but also ooze with patriotic flair, making them a perfect independence day breakfast option.
Saffron Layer: Carrot puree
White Layer: Regular idli batter (fermented rice and lentil batter)
Green Layer: Spinach and coriander puree
- Divide the idli batter into three portions.
- Mix the carrot puree into one portion to create the saffron layer.
- Blend spinach and coriander to make a smooth puree and mix it into another portion for the green layer.
- Leave the third portion as is for the white layer.
- Grease the idli molds and spoon the batter into each mold, layering saffron, white, and green.
- Steam the idlis as usual until they're fluffy and cooked through.
3. Tricolor Sandwiches to Kick off Your Independence Day
How about a delectable tricolor sandwich that's delicious, nourishing, and equally appealing to the eyes? Packed with wholesome ingredients, this sandwich is perfect for a light yet satisfying meal.
Saffron Layer: Roasted bell pepper spread
White Layer: Cottage cheese (paneer) or cream cheese
Green Layer: Spinach and basil pesto
- Roast bell peppers until charred, then peel and blend them into a smooth spread for the saffron layer.
- Spread the roasted bell pepper spread on one slice of whole-grain bread for the saffron layer.
- Place a layer of cottage cheese or cream cheese on another slice for the white layer.
- Mix spinach and basil to make a vibrant green pesto for the green layer.
- Spread the pesto on a third slice for the green layer.
- Assemble the layers into a sandwich and slice diagonally to reveal the tricolor marvel within.
4. Tricolor Healthy Smoothie
What better way to kickstart your day than with a refreshing and nutritious tricolor smoothie? This vibrant drink is not only a treat for the eyes but also a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals, making it a perfect addition to your tricolor feast on independence day.
Saffron Layer: Mango or orange chunks
White Layer: Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt
Green Layer: Baby spinach, kiwi, mint leaves
- For the saffron layer, blend ripe mango chunks or juicy orange segments until smooth. You can also add a touch of turmeric for an extra dash of color and health benefits.
- Spoon the saffron puree into the bottom third of a tall glass.
- For the white layer, blend Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt with a hint of honey for sweetness. Gently layer it on top of the saffron layer in the glass.
- In a clean blender, combine baby spinach, kiwi, and a few mint leaves to create the vibrant green layer. Add a splash of water if needed to blend smoothly.
- Carefully spoon the green mixture onto the white layer in the glass, completing the tricolor effect.
These tricolor recipes bring together the essence of unity, diversity, and good health. By infusing your recipes with the vibrant hues of the Indian flag, you're not only paying homage to your nation but also embracing the rich tapestry of flavors and nutrients that nature has to offer. So, go ahead and indulge in these delightful tricolor treats that are as good for your body as they are for your soul.
Happy cooking, happy eating, and happy independence day!