Gua sha is a traditional Chinese healing technique that has been gaining popularity in the skincare world for its many benefits. The practice involves using a tool to massage and scrape the skin, helping to increase blood flow, reduce inflammation, and promote lymphatic drainage. While it has been used for centuries to relieve pain and tension in the body, it is now being applied to the face for its potential to improve skin health and appearance. In this blog post, we will explore the benefits of gua sha for the face and how to properly use this technique in your skincare routine.
What is gua sha?
Gua sha is a traditional Chinese healing technique that involves using a smooth-edged tool to scrape the skin in long strokes. The tool is usually made of stone, such as jade or rose quartz, and is used to gently massage the skin in order to stimulate blood flow and promote healing.
How to use gua sha?
- Begin with a clean and moisturized face.
- Apply a facial oil or serum to help the gua sha glide smoothly over your skin.
- Hold the gua sha tool with the curved side against your face and glide it gently upwards and outwards, following the contours of your face and neck.
- Apply light to medium pressure as you move the tool over your skin.
- Use the smaller end of the tool for the more delicate areas of your face, such as around the eyes.
- Repeat each stroke 5-10 times in the same direction, focusing on one side of your face at a time.
- After each stroke, wipe the tool clean with a cloth or tissue.
- To release tension in your jaw, gently clench your teeth and use the tool to massage along your jawline.
- To reduce puffiness, use the tool to gently massage in an upward and outward motion, starting from the centre of your face and moving outwards towards your ears.
- Use the gua sha tool for 5-10 minutes as part of your daily skincare routine.
- Remember to be gentle and take your time when using gua sha to avoid any skin irritation or bruising.
3 Gua sha benefits
Some of the benefits of using a gua sha tool include:
The gentle scraping motion of the tool helps to increase blood flow to the skin, promoting healing and reducing inflammation.
A study conducted on eleven healthy individuals revealed that gua sha therapy was found to enhance blood circulation in the small blood vessels. The participants, who received gua sha therapy on their backs, demonstrated improved blood flow in the treated area for up to 25 minutes after the therapy. Notably, the study also found that women had a better response to the treatment than men.
Gua sha is believed to help stimulate the lymphatic system, which can help to reduce puffiness and swelling in the face.
By massaging the muscles of the face, gua sha can help to release tension and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
According to the small study, individuals who underwent gua sha therapy reported experiencing immediate relief from muscle pain. Surprisingly, the pain relief wasn't limited to the targeted area and was also observed in other parts of their bodies. Although the duration of pain relief was not specified by the researchers, it continued beyond the gua sha sessions.
Jade roller for face
A jade roller is a small handheld tool made of jade or another smooth stone that is used to massage the face. It has a larger roller for the cheeks and forehead and a smaller roller for the eye area.
How to use a jade roller?
- Start with a clean face to ensure that the jade roller doesn't push any dirt or bacteria into your pores.
- Using a facial oil or serum will help the jade roller glide over your skin easily and provide added benefits to your skin.
- Start at the centre of your face and work your way outward. Use the larger end of the jade roller for your cheeks, jawline, and forehead, and the smaller end for the area around your eyes.
- Gently roll the jade roller over your skin using light pressure. You should never press too hard or pull your skin too much.
- Always roll upward and outward on your face, following the natural contours of your face.
- Spend about 30 seconds to one minute on each area of your face before moving on to the next.
- Don't forget to use the jade roller on your neck to promote lymphatic drainage in those areas.
- After use, wipe your jade roller with a damp cloth and dry it thoroughly. You can also clean it with mild soap and water.
3 Jade roller benefits
Some of the benefits of using a jade roller include:
The cooling effect of the jade roller can help to reduce puffiness and swelling in the face.
Rolling the jade roller over the skin can help to increase blood flow, promoting healing and reducing inflammation.
The gentle massage of the jade roller can help to release tension and promote relaxation.
Gua sha is a gentle and natural technique that can help improve skin health, reduce inflammation, and promote relaxation. Incorporating gua sha into your skincare routine may be a simple way to achieve a healthy, glowing complexion.
Are face tools effective?
Yes, facial tools like gua sha and jade rollers can be effective in promoting circulation, reducing inflammation, and alleviating muscle tension when used correctly and consistently.
Why are facial tools important?
Facial tools are important because they can help improve circulation, reduce inflammation, alleviate muscle tension, improve lymphatic drainage, and enhance the absorption of skincare products.
Does gua Sha actually work?
While there is limited scientific research on gua sha, many people swear by its benefits, including promoting circulation, reducing inflammation, and alleviating muscle tension. However, it's essential to use it correctly and consistently to see results.
- What Is Gua Sha, and How Do You Use It to Sculpt Your Skin? - GoodRxHealth
- Physiology, Lymphatic System -PubMed
- The Effect of Gua Sha Treatment on the Microcirculation of Surface Tissue: A Pilot Study in Healthy Subjects - ScienceDirect
Stay Informed, and Stay Healthy!
Get the best of health & wellness with our brands - Mars & Saturn. We believe in providing evidence-based, quality products & services that positively impact your well-being. That's why we've assembled a team of experts to create informative & educational content related to various health topics. From skincare tips & advice on sleep habits to the latest news on sexual performance & personal hygiene, we strive to keep you informed & equipped with the knowledge you need to live your best life.